Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Tea Weather

I am so looking forward to it being fall.

At 8 pm in the evening this time of year it is not quite dark out and my poor tired brain has a hard time winding down.  My husband says I'm a lizard; I look for heat and light and stay there.  But once the sun begins to set, my body and mind begin to slow down. 

I think it comes from growing up on a farm.  Summer meant up from 5:30 am till 10 pm.  School starting meant we could sleep in till 6 or 6:30 and tried to be in bed by 9 pm. 

My hours are my own to set now, but I wonder sometimes how much my body remembers those years and has a default that says that the sun being up means I should be too.

I do not particularly love winter these last eight years or so.  For a few of those years we lived in a small town that has snow from October to April.  I have a driving complex as a result.  I am a fairly good driver, but I worry immensely about other people not knowing what they are doing and me not being able to react fast enough.  I have no fear of dying in a bad car accident, but I do have a fear of living through one.

For the rest of those years, I dislike holidays.  I love decorating, and having candles that smell like pumpkin and leaves, cinnamon and pine. I super stress about family get togethers though.  For Thanksgiving I stress about the food.  I eat gluten free and am never sure what I will be able to eat or not and tend to fall off the wagon between Thanksgiving and Christmas.  This adds even more stress and anxiety to the mix, not to mention migraines.  And for Christmas, I always want to find exactly the right present and stress so much that I end up having to buy something last minute that doesn't fit at all.

But I love fall.  I get to wear boots and scarves and sweaters!  I love scarves and sweaters!  And I get to turn the heat on in the house, which means I have to wear socks because we set our thermostat low.  And the only thing I love more than sweaters and scarves is SOCKS! 

I drink more tea in the fall and winter.  100+ degree weather in the summer means that tea is not a favorite beverage, and I begin to miss it by the beginning of July.  And me and tea go a long way back, longer than me and my husband.  I came to the conclusion long ago that my Welsh heritage is fairly dominant.  I sing a huge amount and fairly well with little training and there is no problem that tea cannot help at least a little bit.  My favorites are herbal and rooibos teas.  I do not favor traditional teas much at all, which is odd, but since nothing else I do is quite traditional, I suppose it is only to be expected.

The only problem right now it that, although it is September by the calendar, the weather seems to have not noticed that it is time for things to cool down.

I have attempted to have tea three days in a row now, and mostly end up leaving it to cool down before I drink it.  My husband keeps asking if I have forgotten it.

"No, I am waiting for it to cool off.  It is too hot to drink hot tea."

He laughs, shakes his head and brings me my tea.   

No comments:

Post a Comment